Sunday, November 24, 2013

To College or Not to College: The FIT Edition

       It seemed to happen all at once. Last week, the same week I landed an internship was the same week I got my letter of congratulations from The Fashion Institute of Technology. I came home to the envelope sitting on my bed. I was accepted into their Advertising and Marketing Communications program. I am proud. This is my first real college application and I got it. A few months back I'd compulsively applied to the school with the idea that more education or this education would make a difference. (If you don't already know I've been to college before. I got my Associates Degree in Graphic Design from the Art Institute of New York and let's just say the education there is not worth the price tag.) There is something about being out of school for a while and not working a "dream job" that made me feel desperate. You get it into your mind that you need a piece of paper to have a great career and to succeed. A lot of American dreams are built on that mindset, even in the midst of a recession.

       There was a bit of a struggle when it came to the FIT application process so I kind of resigned. I gave up after submitting money, an application, transcripts and an essay. It should be a crime to have to pay all that money to maybe have your application considered. To my surprise everything did kind of work out. By the time I did get my letter (last week) I was left with such a short deadline to think about what I'd be signing up for, to file fin-aide, hold my seat etc.


       After the high wears off, there's wisdom. Just yesterday I was feeling the pressure of all these commitments and decisions I've made. I was anxious to the point of insomnia. So finally I had a talk with mom. Things to know about my mother she wants me and my sister to come to good decisions on our own so she asks a lot of the right questions and she get's you to ask your own. She asked me to look at what I'd be getting out of the experience. Would the education I get there be worth the price tag? I realize since I've already landed an internship (which if you look aren't to difficult to find.) All other things aside tuition, books, supplies: Real world experience based on what I've learned trumps hypothetical experience. Real world experience has found me work. Final decision made...College isn't for me. Re-realization it's about who you know and what you can do.Your future is not always determined by a $30,000 piece of paper.


I have an education plan. Not a college education plan. So for those of you on the fence just know there are other ways to get educated. The path doesn't always look like school spirit, frat parties and cramming for tests.

No comments: